Thursday, June 2, 2011

Le Portugais

I have to admit that it was the first time that I visited a real Portuguese restaurant, so I was quite keen to discover this cuisine. For a good introduction we tried the menu découverte (4 courses, CHF 59,-) and I was lucky because I was invited by my girlfriend. We started with a Portuguese classic the bolinhos de bacalhau. Tasty and well prepared, but it was not seasoned enough. After we got served a octopus salad in vinegar. It was a rich portion of pulpo, which was also perfectly cooked. But the vinegar taste was a little to overwhelming and again it was not enough seasoned. (I have to note here that in the dishes I prepare and eat myself I'm far from a salt freak. Still I find that salt plays an important role in the kitchen. It simply allows us to accentuate the specific tastes of the products we use)  The principal dish was grilled bacalhau (cod fish). Perfectly cooked with a nice grill taste, but again (and I'm sorry to repeat myself) it missed seasoning and although they served small seasalt cristals with it, it is much nicer when it is put on the fish while it's being grilled. Apparently the Portuguese love egg desserts, because almost all desserts had eggs in them. We took a sort of Ile flottant, of which the island was huge.
To conclude: I liked the food a lot, also I liked that all the plates on the menu were fish dishes. But if the chef had used more often the saltshaker I would have been more enthousiastic. Also I maybe missed a bit something really specific Portuguese in the dishes, it might as well been a Spanish restaurant that served these plates.

Le Portugaise. 59, Boulevard Pont d'Arve. 1205 Genève. Tel: 022 329 40 98 Website: www.leportugais.ch 
Closed on sunday and monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment